The origins of Damen Shiprepair Rotterdam (DSR) date back to 1857. A blacksmith named B. Wilton, opened up a machine factory where he built machines for ships. By 1921 he had moved to the current site in Schiedam. Not long after, Wilton started building ships. Less than ten years later, he merged with Maatschappij voor Scheeps- en Werktuigbouw Fijenoord, thereby starting the Wilton-Fijenoord shipyard.
The shipyard grew slowly over the years, during which time, the primary activity switched from shipbuilding to ship repair. Although ship repair formed the core business, the yard still undertook newbuild activities.
In 1968, the yard joined the RSMS (Rijn-Schelde Machinefabrieken en Scheepswerven). In 1971, the RSMS changed hands and continued as RSV (Rijn-Schelde Verolme Machine Fabrieken en Scheepswerven) for a short time. Following this, the Wilton Fijenoord yard continued on its own from 1984 onwards. Business surged at this point, largely due to the repair branch. This led to the takeover of Vlaardingen Oost yards in 1987.
By 1999, Wilton Fijenoord had merged with YVC, which meant the end of the Wilton Fijenoord era and the start of Rotterdam United Shipyards (RUS). It was taken over by Damen Shipyards and renamed Damen Shiprepair Rotterdam in 2003.
* Required fields