Oranjewerf was founded in 1949 by a consortium of shipping companies and shipyards. The yard was established to carry out repairs on inland and coastal vessels. Oranjewerf is located in Amsterdam North, close to the Oranje locks and the Amsterdam Rhine canal. In 1952 the yard was taken over by Verschure & Co, which rebuild the slipway and added a shipbuilding hall and berths. These facilities are still in use today.
Three decades later, due to a crisis in the shipbuilding industry, the yard went out of business. With a revival in the repair market in 1983, the yard was re-opened as part of the Giesselbach Group. In 1989 the Damen Shipyards Group took over Oranjewerf. The group invested heavily in the upgrading of facilities, enabling the yard to take on projects for decades to come.
* Required fields