The yard we know today as Damen Shiprepair Harlingen has a long history. In 1600 there was already a yard on the Zuiderhaven, which was one of the reasons why the Frisian Admiralty moved from Dokkum to Harlingen in 1645.
The yard was of great significance to the history of Harlingen, with its large merchant fleet, in the 17th and 18th centuries. The yard was considerably modernised in the 20th century. In 1910, a start was made on the construction of a transverse slipway of 62 metres length and in 1918 the firm was converted into a limited liability company called Scheepswerf Welgelegen. After several rebuilds of the slipway, it became increasingly clear that the yard could no longer remain on the Zuiderhaven. Repair activities were already taking place in purchased floating docks, berthed in Nieuwe Willemshaven (docks Goliath and David) and in Industriehaven (dock Hercules). In 1992, a start was made on the building of a new shipyard situated between the existing Hercules establishment and the Frisian Shipyard CV shed, presently in use by Icon Yachts. On 4 November 1994, the new shipyard opened its gates and continues in operation today as a highly modern ship repair facility.
* Required fields