Following their broad and successful co-operation before the Second World War, the Curaçao-based companies Pletterij Enthoven and Bouwmaatschappij Nederhorst decided to merge into Combinatie Pletterij Nederhorst (CPN). In 1944, C.P.N. moved to Parera. In addition to ship repair and maintenance, much work was contracted from the Curaçaose Petroleum Industrie Maatschappij (CPIM), which later became part of Shell. In April 1947, C.P.N. obtained a 3,500 tonne floating dock called the Koningin Wilhelmina Dok.
The co-operation with Shell evolved so well, that Shell transferred the Beatrix Dok (B-Dok) to C.P.N., in order to repair larger ships. The Beatrix Dok has a capacity of 28,000 tonnes. Shell later decided to divest its ship repair activities altogether, which led to the establishment of the N.V. Curaçaose Dok Maatschappij (C.D.M.) on 1 January 1959.
After operations had initially continued at both locations, the C.D.M. would be located entirely at Koningsplein from 1963 onwards. A communication road was built, running from the Rijkseenheid Boulevard. As the company progressed so well, plans were developed for a new 120,000-tonne dock.
This new Antilia Dok (A-Dok) was officially opened on 8 April 1972, marking one of the most important moments in Curaçao’s ship repair history. It laid the important foundation for the further growth of C.D.M. and of the economy of Curaçao itself.
On 16 July 1976, another significant step in the growth of C.D.M. took place with the inauguration of the E.E.G. quay wall. The wall has a length of 500 metres and was financed by the EEC (later EU). On 31 August 1987, the Curaçao Dok (C-Dok), a 10,000-tonne floating dock, entered service. After 24 years it has now been taken out of service.
On 9 September 2016, C.D.M. and Damen Shipyards Group signed a concession agreement for the future operation of the Curaçao Drydock Company. Since February 2017, the shipyard has continued operations under the new name Damen Shiprepair Curaçao. To the shipyard’s staff it will, however, almost certainly remain ‘the Dock’.
* Required fields