The establishment of Damen Shiprepair Amsterdam (DSAm) dates back to 1920, when the NDM (Nederlandse Dok Maatschappij) opened. The yard was started as a response to the lack of competition among docking companies in the Port of Amsterdam. At that time there was only one competitor, Amsterdamsche Dok Maatschappij).
With a repair focus from the start, the yard was situated next to the NSM (Nederlandse Scheepsbouw Maatschappij), already a well-established newbuild yard at the time, dating back to 1894. The NSM yard grew to be the largest shipyard in the world by 1937.
In 1946, the NDM and NSM decided to merge and continue as NDSM (Nederlandse Dok en Scheepsbouw Maatschappij). This merger meant that both the repair (former NDM) and the new build (former NSM) branches co-existed. While NDSM’s new build branch focused on the building of tankers and general cargo vessels, the repair branch also expanded. By 1955, the repair section added a new drydock to its facilities, at that time the first panamax and largest drydock in the world. During the 1960s, the yard became known for conversions and refits.
In 1968, NDSM was forced into a merger with the VVSW (Verolme Verenigde Scheepswerven), which was a Rotterdam based conglomerate of shiprepair and new-build companies. There were soon more changes for VVSW and RSMS (today’s Damen Shiprepair Rotterdam). In 1971, these two conglomerates merged and continued under the name RSV (Rijn-Schelde Verolme Machinefabrieken en Scheepswerven). However, RSV sold the former NDSM yard in 1979, and from that point was called ADM (Amsterdamse Droogdok Maatschappij).
The yard was revitalised in 1986, when Shipdock Amsterdam came into business, as a ship repair company. From 2003 the yard became Amsterdam Shiprepair. During 2005, Shipdock took over again, as Shipdock’s management restarted. In February 2013, Damen Shipyards Group finally acquired the yard.
* Required fields