The history of the Oskarshamnsvarvet yard dates back to 1863, when it started as a newbuild yard. During that time, and for decades after, Sweden was a dominant force in the shipbuilding industry. By 1962, the yard was the largest in the area, employing some 1,400 people. It built more than 500 ships between 1863 and 1995, when the last newbuild vessel was delivered. However, during the crises of the late 60s and 70s, shipbuilding activity gradually shifted from Sweden to other countries. During the 80s, a few 50-meter mega-yachts were built, as well as some high-speed aluminium craft in the beginning of the 90s.
By 1996, the yard was restructured and all newbuilding activities ceased. From that point on, the yard was renamed Oskarshamnsvarvet Sweden AB and focused solely on ship repair and conversion.
The yard was acquired by Damen in 2012 and renamed Damen Oskarhamnsvarvet (DSO). It became part of a worldwide network of shipbuilding, conversion and repair yards that has developed a solid reputation for innovation and quality. As an integrated member, Oskarshamnsvarvet benefits from the full support of the Damen Shipyards Group.
* Required fields
Flip van der Waal